Our Roads, Our Safety: Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver’s Tool Kit to Safer Driving
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) primary mission is to reduce commercial motor vehicle-related fatalities and injuries. As a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) driver, you can continue to improve roadway safety with the resources provided by FMCSA’s Our Road, Our Safety CMV driver tool kit. In this blog you will find safe driving practices that help you share the road safely.
As a CMV driver, you can continue to improve your safe driving practices with the following tips:
• The large size and weight of trucks and buses increase driving challenges, including acceleration, braking, and maneuverability.
• Avoid taking calls and texting while driving.
• Set and review your navigation before you leave for your destination. This way, you can avoid the distraction of entering information while driving.
• Large trucks and buses have long stopped distances, and in rain, snow, or ice, those become even longer.
• Adjust your vehicle’s speed and following distance to appropriately match weather conditions, road conditions, visibility, and traffic.
- Make careful wide turns. Turning requires extra care when roads are wet or icy.
Just as CMV safety is a priority, so is the health and wellness of CMV drivers. The physical health of CMV drivers is critical to safe operation of CMV’s and directly impacts the ability to be a safe and effective CMV driver. Before getting behind the wheel, CMV drivers should consider the following:
• Prioritize sleep. Try to get 7–8 hours of sleep per night and consider taking a 15-minute power nap while at a truck stop or rest area.
• Take your prescriptions properly. Make sure your prescription and over-the-counter medications aren’t causing drowsiness, and schedule them appropriately.
• Try different exercises. Evaluate what exercises you can do that don’t require equipment such as walking, bench presses, lunges, jumping jacks, squats, and more, and build a routine you enjoy alongside your cab.
Road safety is everyone’s responsibility. FMCSA Our Roads, Our Safety campaign developed a toolkit to provide driver health tips and road safety refreshers to stay safe. To learn more about the Our Roads, Our Safety Campaign and CMV driver health tips and road safety refreshers to stay safe All materials are available for download to print and/or share at https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/ourroads/cmv-driver-toolkit.